Just Get Started!!


"He has not learned the first lesson of life who does not every day surmount a fear."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Arggghh!! 


Lord knows this blog has been a long time coming. The whole world (well, my world) knows this blog has been a long time coming.. too long. Well, that's what fear and uncertainty does to your dreams if you allow it and that's why my first post seeks to encourage you today to do just one thing...get started! I'm basically speaking to myself but secretly(not so secretly) hoping to ignite that spark within someone else.


Sooo, you know that one little or big thing you've always dreamed of doing or experiencing or even going for, but never got to do for one reason or the other such as fear of failure or uncertainty of what comes next? Yeah, that one. Do it.


You've probably heard this a gazillion times and its probably been the same small voice in your head every time saying "If only it were that easy..." That seemingly small voice can cause such a gigantic and unimaginable effect in a negative way. Of course, it may not be easy to get that dream or goal started, but I bet if you took one insy winsy step, continuing would come naturally.  


Think about it; you are nervous or scared about getting into the water because you are constantly thinking about how hot, cold, warm or deep it is. You have allowed fear to overtake your mind and keep you in a constant state of paralysis. That "little" "careful" and discouraging voice always has a way of creeping up at the moment where you're about to dive and it doesn't help one bit. Your mind is fixed on the negative what-ifs. What if i drown? What if i get burned? What if it's too hot? What if its too cold? What if i get overwhelmed by the waves?What if I get eaten by a two-headed shark? What if I get eaten by a two-headed shark and it spits me out and I get eaten by a three-headed shark? (okay, I would totally think the last two. I don't know about you) What if... What if... What if...


But then you want to know whether the water is cold? Get in. Want to know whether its deep? Get in. Want to know if you'll be able to swim against the tides and the waves? Get in. Want to know whether there are any two-headed sharks or if they'll be friendly? Get in. Want to know if you'll experience the positive what-ifs? Get in.  And you can start by dipping your toes in the water right before you dive in.


One thing I have learned about fear is that is boxes you into a very comfortable position (your comfort zone) and keeps you trapped in that zone where you begin to question the point of having big dreams and goals. You could get so "content" with where you are in life that stepping out of the comfort zone seems almost impossible. So you end up postponing the baby steps to the realization of your dreams and goals to the "next week" or "next year" because "it's just too huge and complicated". "Why should I anyway? I have food to eat and a place to sleep. I'm good to go. What's this "goals" stuff and "dreaming big" stuff anyway?" said the mind that is so far into the comfort zone. Granted, the comfort zone is safe, comfortable as it where...but that's all that it will ever be. You can only go as far and as high as your comfort zone,

For me, it's been such an amazing journey learning everyday that although a task, goal or achievement may seem like such an uphill battle or an impossible task, I'll never really know until I just get started. I'm learning that sometimes fear could make you postpone certain steps to that dream or goal out of fear of failure or fear of disappointment while steady convincing yourself that it's for the best. I'm learning that with each waking day, there has to be some fear surmounted to get closer to that dream. I'm learning that while you can have the whole perfect picture in your head of how you want that dream to manifest into reality or that ambition into achievement, there is no picture without a pixel. I'm learning that it takes being brave, courageous and strong to understand that you may try something and it may not work the first time, but with constant perseverance and belief in oneself, things would surely work out. 

And when you do get started and take that first step, do not worry about what lies ahead because it all eventually falls into place when you put all that hard work and planning into play. However, things may not always go as planned, but when life throws you lemons?....build a lemon castle!!! And for the moments where you feel lost or like you're taking one step forward and two steps back, just keep moving... keep going...


But first, get started.


"I can almost see it.
That dream I'm dreaming,
But there's a voice inside my head saying,
"You'll never reach it."
Every step I'm takin'
Every move I make feels lost with no direction,
My faith is shakin'
But I, I gotta keep tryin'
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down,
But no, I'm not breaking
I may not know it,
But these are the moments
That I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep goin',

And I, I gotta be strong
Just keep pushing on"


- Miley Cyrus, The Climb


Comments

  1. Wow great write up. I love the facts, the humor and the overall message. You see the comfort zone is "comfortable" but isn't safe. It keeps you stagnant and one thing I know about stagnant water is that it stinks, and harbours mosquitoes ��...
    We have to understand that Nothing in life is to be feared but to be understood.
    Im really inspired by this post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is applicable to soooo many areas of my life!!! *cries* hahaha. This is such an inspiring post. Thank you for using your experience to ignite that fire back into myself and the rest of your readers. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of a famous crooner I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky, think about every night and day, spread my wings and fly away.... I believe I can soar..we all know the rest to fly we must spread our wings... thanks for sharing your experience and reminding us that we can and should all fly high...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great and encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In world rules by thinkers, you have started placing your imprints. Proud of you! This is beautiful, powerful and real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to take this advice. I have to the first step before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece. I'm totally motivated now. And thanks for getting started too. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece. I'm totally motivated now. And thanks for getting started too. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks my people!! Hope we could all be encouraged with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Inspiring write up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece dear! I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great piece, I was encouraged rachel and congrats to you on this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very inspiring and apt write-up, just what I needed. Indeed fear makes one remain only but a dreamer. We all just need to take one step further. Maybe not grabbing the entire bull by the horn but just the tip, will get us started in the next phase of life. We'll never really know until we try. Thanks Rachel for this piece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts